Recently, I decided that I would change up my hair care routine to work with the wavy (2b-2c) texture in my hair and hopefully have less of a frizzy lion’s mane. So I started watching lots of Wavy Hair Care Routines on Youtube and taking down notes.
So I created a list of staple items: a curl shampoo, a hydrating conditioner, a curl cream, curl gel, and a hair mask to my shopping list. For about a week I did some research online, I googled & looked at ulta.com, target.com, devacurl.com, etc…
I went to Ulta with the intentions of buying the NYM’s Curl talk shampoo, curl cream, and curl gel, and was going to browse for a conditioner because I hadn’t heard a lot of love about the Curl Talk conditioner. Here is what I ended up buying:
- The NYM’s Curl Talk Curl Care Shampoo: So far I haven’t had any problems with this shampoo, I haven’t had any scalp build up either. I love that this shampoo lathers, too.
- The SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate + Repair conditioner is meant to sit in your hair for 3 minutes according to the directions and I really love this conditioner. The hydration really helps since I find curl creams to be drying. **I don’t think this is silicone free**
- The SheaMoisture Sugarcane Extract & Meadowfoam Seed Leave-in *this is silicone free*
- The Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Butter cream
- The Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion: I have mixed feelings about this, it does really help make beautiful waves/curls but I find it to be drying. This product smells great and comes with a ton of product, too. I think I need to figure out if I should add a leave-in conditioner before or after I use this.
- The NYM’s Curl Talk Frizz Control Curl Gel: I don’t like this. I’ve used it a few times and I just don’t like the way it makes my hair feel. The internet seems to really like this though. When I do use it, I apply it after my curl lotion/cream.
- Garnier’s Damage Repair 1-Minute Hair Mask: My first impression on this product is that it smells terrible. I’ve only used this product twice so I haven’t had enough time to see major differences but I will keep you updated.
If you want to know how I use these products, continue reading….
Step 1: I shampoo my hair with the NYM Curl Talk shampoo and rinse.
Step 2: I apply conditioner from my roots to my ends and let it sit for about 3 minutes and right before rinsing it I detangle my hair with a wide-toothed comb.
Step 3: When I get out of the shower and my hair is still super wet (besides a squeeze or two) I apply either the SheaMoisture Sugarcane leave in or my Garnier Curl nourish cream all over my hair and scrunch upwards.
Step 4: I apply my curl lotion all over my hair and then split it in half and scrunch upwards.
Step 5: I use my Aquis hair towel to scrunch our the excess water and then wrap up my hair for about 10 minutes.
Step 6: I take my hair out and create the part that I want. And, either hand scrunch a few more times or I will diffuse my hair with a hair dryer.
I have noticed a huge change in how my hair looks once it dries. I wish I had tried this years ago, my hair is no longer a frizz ball with not definition and dry.