My first year at University I overpacked. SUV completely full, every pair of shoes I owned, every piece of clothing, all of the school supplies and decorations I could find. Over the past three years at school, I have figured out what the “essentials” are (at least for me)
- I highly recommend a mattress pad, the college mattresses are NOT comfortable.
- Twin XL sheets, I promise the normal Twin sheets will be too small (no matter how hard you pull)
- Comforter or Quilt, I recommend a quilt because the dorms never get cold. Unless you go to a school where the dorms have AC, you will sweat at night, even in the winter. Cheap dorm comforters are way easier to find though (especially at Target)
- My first dorm was tile so I highly recommend a dust pan. But if you have a carpet also think about a cheap vacuum.
- Laundry Detergent & Dryer Sheets. If you’re anything like me, go for the mini sizes. You won’t go through as much as you think.
- Hamper, I found that a foldable hamper is easier to squeeze in tight places but a solid hamper is way easier to carry up and down the stairs.
- Hangers. At home, I never took advantage of my closet space but in college, it is a blessing.
- Rain Jacket. I go to a big school so walking to a class that is 10-15 minutes away in the rain is not enjoyable. I recommend a jacket over an umbrella bc it’s easier to store in class, and easier to get on the bus with.
- Rain boots!!!!!!!!! I went with LL Bean’s Bean Boots so they could multitask as snow and rain boots. Nothing is more uncomfortable than walking in wet weather and being stuck with wet canvas shoes all day.
- Headphones. Headphones are really important when you’re walking to class and want to listen to music or when you’re studying in the library, watching Netflix at night, eating meals alone and you want to watch funny videos.
- Desk Lamp. Not all desks in school come with a built-in light, and some of the overhead lighting is the ugliest lighting on the planet. I recommend a desk lamp for when you don’t want to go blind when doing homework, or hanging in your room at night.
- Clorox Wipes. Trust me, you’ll need them to clean off your desk, to clean up spills on your floor.
- Paper towels which are also needed for college spills and if your nose starts running when you’re eating ramen.
- Clock, I really hate looking at my phone when I wake up at night and want to know the time, or when I’m studying or getting ready & am trying to be productive and avoid my phone.
- Bath Sheets, these are way better than Bath towels because they are much bigger and cover way more of your body. When you need to walk down the hall to the shower you’ll feel way more comfortable.
- Shower Caddy & Sandals. Just makes everything about showering easier and more sanitary
- Febreze. Honestly, dorms start to smell after awhile. Two college kids are trying to share a small space while they do their laundry and take the trash out as little as possible.
- Trash Bags. Why take out the entire trash can if you don’t need to? Also, someone will puke and no one wants to clean out that trash can.
- Backpack. I never understand the people who walk into class with just a tote bag or nothing at all. There is no way I can fit all of my stuff in a tote bag, especially without killing my shoulder.
- Keychain. I promise you, you will lose your key without one.
- Under-bed storage. I used the vertical container with the three drawers. My bed was high but I stored nonperishable snacks, trash bags, laundry stuff, underwear, socks, and bras. I’m not sure stuffing all of that in there was the best idea but it worked for me.
- Fan. Dorms are really fucking hot.
- If you’re like me you will NEED makeup storage. I had the mini three drawer container on one of my desk shelves and then kept my everyday makeup in my top drawer of my desk in a clear tray.
- Duffle Bag. This is very important if you do weekend trips or go home a lot during the weekend
I did most of my school shopping at Target, Walmart, and on Amazon.
Any questions or if you think I’m missing anything, just comment:)