I am getting an apartment for my Senior year of high school with one of my best friends on the entire planet. I am poor but I decided that I’d need some inspiration on how to make it cozy & cute (hopefully with things that I already have).
My dad makes an amazing chili, he’s been making it for years but recently he started making it “vegetarian”, I did some googling and realized that it might actually be vegan. This recipe makes a ton of servings so you can eat it for days, it is totally healthy and actually keeps you full. It is perfect for leftovers, the other day I ate it for lunch and dinner but I ate it over pasta for dinner to spice things up. I usually add red pepper flakes and saltines (I’m not sure if those are vegan though)
1 lg onion (diced small)
1 ½ green peppers (diced small)
2 cloves of garlic
1 yellow squash
1 container of baby mushrooms
2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 16oz cans of red kidney beans
1 ½ tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp of butter, melted, in a pot
- Add mushrooms on medium-low, cook for a few minutes
- Add onion, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic & green pepper, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add zucchini & squash, cook for 5 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes
- Bring to simmer, raise to medium
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder (to taste)
- Then add kidney beans
- Set oven to 250 F, put covered pot into the oven and let cook for a few hours. Stir every 30 minutes.
There are some days when I snooze my alarm 3 times & then need to get ready fairly quickly. Those are always the days my skin looks dull. So here is my “no makeup” makeup look….
Step 1: Apply the Maybelline Age Erase Concealer (the one with the sponge on the end) under your eyes, and where you have any blemishes. I use it where i have redness on my nose and right on my chin.
Step 2: I lightly contoured my nose and my jawbone otherwise I look like I’m 7. Then I highlight the inner corner of my eyes, my cheekbones, my browbone, and the tip of my nose. I use the Smashbox 3-Step Contour Kit.
Step 3: Apply the Clinique High Impact mascara to your top lashes (and bottom if you want). I really like to do both because I have no issue with going a lil’ extra with my eyelashes.
Step 4: (optional) Apply the Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm, my favorite color is Red Dahlia.
What I’m Wearing:
- Dynamite Cardigan: I got this in Canada last summer. It is extremely soft & cozy but also makes any outfit look put together.
- GAP jeans: these are high rise because I love keeping the snack pouch hidden. These jeans are extremely flattering and fit me better than any other jeans besides American Eagle. I bought these when I worked at Old Navy and got 50% off at Gap.
- Dainty Butterfly Necklace from Urban Outfitters: I bought this for like $16 and I wear it most days. I love dainty chokers, I take this off at night because I’m afraid it’ll turn my neck green.
- Tank Top from Target: My friend gave this to me as a gift when I turned 19. It has beautiful lace detailing at the top. It is simple but the detailing makes the outfit way less boring.
- Fossil Cross Body: This bag is black leather and looks less boring with the different fabric they used on the smaller pocket. This is the biggest purse than I own and can fit my daily jounral, wallet, feminine products, phone charger, a few lip products, and a hand lotion.
- Birkenstocks: I spent the normal price on these because my feet are brand snobs and only want the best. Disclaimer: breaking these shoes in was hell for me but once I broke them in they’re like walking on clouds.
The other day I was scrolling the Instagram & realized that one of my friends received a subscription box, Cause Box. It is more of a lifestyle box than a beauty box; like Birchbox or Ipsy. I don’t think Birchbox and Ipsy are worth the $10 because I only ever like/use about half of what I get. I would compare Cause Box to like FabFitFun, about the same price & items. This subscription box is delivered four times a year and is cheaper if you pay for the full-year up front.
So here’s what was in the box….
–Haiti Design Co. key chain; retails at $14
I put this on my keys instead of my purse because the key chain has gold hardware and my purse has silver.
–Altru Notebook & Bookmark; retails at $24
This book is absolutely adorable and feels really nice in your hand, the notebook is lined and I think I am going to use it as a recipe book.
–Pura Vida Bracelets; retails at $10
It came with a teal bracelet and a pink & purple bracelet. I don’t love the pink bracelet so I think I’m going to gift it to a friend, but these feel like they’re great quality. I think they may be waxed and the size is adjustable. I honestly think I might wear this as an anklet if it fits, I can definitely see myself wearing it every day.
–Kálos Detox Face Mask; retails at $39
I have not tried this face mask yet but once I do I will update this post and let you know about my experience. At first impressions, the packaging is super high-quality.
–Nashelle (Adjustable) Wave Ring; retails at $46
This ring is beautiful, the fact that it’s adjustable is really cool but I don’t normally wear rings so I can’t figure out how to make it smaller. It is too big for all of my fingers, including my thumb. This ring is rose gold and compliments my skin tone (and any skin tone) really well.
–Mason Jar Company Cup, Straw & Cap; retails at $20
This is one of my favorite things that came in this box, the mason jar is huge (a little more than 18 oz/2 cups). The mint cap that it comes with has a hole in the top for the straw. Mason jars are easy to clean and just have a great aesthetic. I think this will be nice for iced teas or fruit waters. Or if you’re a smoothie person.
–All Good Coconut Sunscreen; retails at $8.99
This came just in time because I am going to the beach for a week next week, this is the perfect size for a beach bag, makeup bag, or purse. This sunscreen smells really great and offers 30 SPF protection. I will add a review once I try it next week. I’ll share how my face reacts to it.
–Shelley Steer RELAX Print; retails for $10
The box included a print that matches the print of the box & it has gold-foiled letters. This is small but I think it’ll look really nice in my new college apartment. In the photo I didn’t take the plastic off, in real life, it is matte, besides the foiled words.
-Kuli Kuli Superfood (Sample)
This is used as a smoothie mix, it is supposed to be 1 full serving of vegetables. In the packet, they give a recommended recipe.
Ingredients: 2 Kuli Kuli packets, 1 1/2 cups of water, 12 oz chopped romaine lettuce, 1/2 bunch of spinach, 4 stalks of celery, 1 apple (seeded, cored, quartered), 1 pear (seeded, quartered), 1 banana (halved), 1/2 lemon (halved)
I don’t drink smoothies so I might give this to a friend. I don’t ever use a blender because I’m lazy and that sounds like way more vegetables & fruit than needed in a day.
This box was $55 but the items inside were worth $171.
The only thing I can’t see myself using is the Superfood packets and those weren’t even included in the $171. 100% worth it.
I will be moving into an apartment soon, which means I’ll be in charge of not starving. I’ve been trying to be healthier (hopefully I don’t go broke) and luckily my parents are willing to be my guinea pigs.
***I promise this was yummier than it looks***
20-25 Shrimp, good for about 4 people
2 Bags of Salad Mix
1 Can of Chic Peas
1 Bag of Frozen Corn
1 Bag of Frozen Peas
1 Container of Yellow Tomatoes
- Put Shrimp into luke warm water. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Drain and Rinse Chic Peas. Put into seperate bowl.
- Put Peas & Corn into slightly warm water. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Once shrimp is no longer cold, drain it. Then add lemon pepper (or just lemon juice). Put onto the stove & cook on each side until pink. I’d cook it at medium, medium/low.
- Empty Both Bags of Lettuce into the ugliest bowl you have. for aesthetic.
- Cut your baby tomatoes in halves, and pit & slice your avocadoes.
- Throw everything into your salad. (My sister doesn’t like chic peas so they were served on the side which is why they aren’t show in the picture)
I chose to put Parmesan Peppercorn dressing on mine & thought it was fabulous, the healthier option probably would have been olive oil, though.
So I was Pinteresting DIY Lip Scrubs and they all require at least 4 ingredients & a mini mason jar for aesthetic. I really wanted to wear a matte lipstick (colourpop’s ultra blotted lips) the other day and my lips were not prepared.
I found that mixing a little bit of honey and brown sugar does the trick or even just brown sugar. The honey is supposed to be moisturizing while the brown sugar exfoliates. It’s quick and you probably have both of those things in your cupboard. I only mixed enough for one use so that I wouldn’t need to store it.
1. Eve: This is the app that I currently use. I prefer the look of this app, the log has a lot of great options, also there is an awesome community where you can ask and answer questions, or just make friends. There is a reminder setting to take your birth control and to log your health. Every day when you log your health and press done little really helpful insights will show up to help you understand your cycle. It has a list view or a calendar view so you can visualize your cycle and how your body has been feeling. You can add a password or fingerprint to this app. This app is free but does have a Premium option where you can take more quizzes (but that’s not relevant to my needs)
2. Spot On by Planned Parenthood
This app looks nice, there is a health log portion where you enter your mood, how your body feels, what sort of activity you’ve done, and if you have your period and the flow you’re experiencing. This app has reminders to take your birth control, when your period is coming, and to log your health. The alternative views are sort of weird, I prefer the day by day view, the other view is a really long list that shows every single symptom whether you experienced it or not and has a number of how many times that week you felt that way, not my cup of tea but I like the other features of the app. There isn’t a community part of this app but there are a lot of resources from Planned Parenthood on the app. I do not think there is a passcode on this app
This is just a reminder app, you don’t log anything into this app. You set a reminder time and it’ll send you either a clever, discrete, or customized reminder to take your birth control. I would recommend this if you’re not really concerned about tracking your cycle and just need help remembering to take your birth control
This app has different categories to log than Eve. This app asks for your weight, how much you slept, what you ate (but you cannot log in this app, you need to import from another app), and it tracks how many steps you’ve taken. Asks if you’ve worked out and how much water you’ve had. Everything else is fairly similar to the Eve app. This app lacks the community aspect. There are tons of different reminders in this app. You can also add a passcode or fingerprint for this app.
4 Servings Prep: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar **next time I’ll use less
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
Salt & Pepper, to taste
16 oz baby red potatoes, I just used the entire bag that I bought
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I should have used smaller ones because no one could finish the giant pieces I used
24 oz broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray. **I should have used nonstick spray because I used too much oil but I don’t think it ruined anything
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of olive oil, butter (melted), honey, brown sugar, Dijon, garlic, oregano, basil; season with salt & pepper to your liking.
- Place potatoes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil onto the potatoes and season with salt & pepper. Add chicken in a single layer and brush chicken with the mixture with the bowl.
- Place into oven and roast until the chicken is at 165 F, internally (about 25-30 minutes). Stir in the broccoli in the last 10 minutes of cooking time (at 15-20 minutes).
- Broil for 2-3 minutes.
recipe from Damn Delicious
- I Like Me Better by Lauv
- Feels by Calvin Harris
- Praying by Kesha (is there no more $?)
- Attention by Charlie Puth
- Chariot by Gavin DeGraw
- Oldies But Goodies, Spotify Playlist