If you don’t already know, I recently moved into an apartment for my senior year of college with three of my girl friends. Last year, I lived in a house but somehow almost never bought food. But this year I decided that I wanted to eat healthier & therefore I should go grocery shopping and eat on campus as little as possible (other than when I’m at work and get to eat for free).
I go grocery shopping about every week and a half to two weeks. This is what my typical grocery list includes…
- 1/2 gallon of 1% Milk
- Dozen large brown eggs
- Morning Star Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- there’s 8 so I don’t buy these every time
- Container of Fresh Spinach
- 1/2 pound of Deli Meat
- I prefer Roast beef, but sometimes I get Turkey Breast
- Loaf of Whole Grain Wheat Bread
- Two bags of steam-in-bag vegetables
- Green beans are my favorite, especially eating them with some red pepper flakes on top
- 90-second white rice
- This flavor has way less sodium than all the others and it’s nice to eat alone, with red pepper flakes, eating as a side, or with some veggies mixed in.
- Two tomatoes
- I use these in my sandwiches, I eat them with my eggs, too.
- Apples or plums
- Three granola bars
I still have a few things from when I moved on September 1st.
- Almond Honey Bunches of Oats
- Ramen Noodles
- these are my backup food. For when I don’t feel good or I’m just too lazy to cook.
- Peanut Butter
- I prefer the natural crunchy peanut butter
- I must be doing something wrong because I still haven’t opened my ketchup and I love ketchup
- Salad Dressing
Because I don’t cook anything other than eggs I buy a lot of the same things. I think this works for me because I do work at the Dining Common on campus so I get to eat there but also I think I save money by keeping it simple. I normally only spend under $40 each time I go.